8.30.2020

I Try Not to Even Think Much about Work on Sundays. But.

With the grant not renewed for the 2020-25 cycle (we've got a year of preapproved banked funding to tap into, so I'm glad to say that I do still have a job past tomorrow), I may finally have to make the decision I've been mulling over for some years now, between advising and English. 

For much of my time in my position, it's been no real contest - I would say the advising I do in my job is my favorite of all my responsibilities. I can pretty much advise all day if I need to, whereas it's been a long time since I've had to do English teaching and related responsibilities all day, and those memories aren't very happy ones. 

But I was also twenty-six and younger then. A decade later, I've been involved in English tutoring, curriculum, and assessment from the perspective of someone really embedded in a full-time department, and that's a somewhat different experience. If all my semesters on Portfolio Assessment have taught me anything, it's that I certainly could teach competently if I decided to, and would be very much less isolated in it than I was as a young adjunct. Over the past almost-eight years, I've learned a lot - and have also felt, I think justifiably, that I have a better grasp of what effective composition teaching looks like than a number of our current part-timers. Some semesters it was hard not to feel like maybe I'd better get involved with teaching again, simply because the teaching of developmental and introductory composition will happen at my college, every semester, no matter what quality it is, but that quality has real implications for the future academic paths (and professional lives?) of students. 

There'd also be the undeniable pull of really belonging, with full-timer status instead of just warm affiliation, to the English department, colleagues to my very favorite people on campus. They have spent a lot of time being oh-so-generous to me and really treating me as one of their own. Not without precedent, to be sure: historically my position has often been a feeder for the full-time faculty, which I didn't really know when I interviewed for and accepted it, so it was in their interest to welcome and prepare me. But it's really been more than pro forma. And one of the nice things about working in a department where you're the youngest (or at least were until recently - probably the newest hire is younger than I) is when people try to remember what it was like to be twenty-seven and just starting. I remember being checked in on early on when my academic division re-orged (the one that was just a re-org, not the later dissolution of that division), some of the conversations that happened when I was on a search committee, the time the department chair told me (I'd only been at the college a couple of years) that he was glad I'd been hired. Dozens of tiny encouragements from people kind enough to care. 

But the truth remains, and I know it, that I probably wouldn't join an English faculty for anyone else but them, anywhere else but where I work. And even then, I'd blanch at a five-course teaching load; my dream is to get offered the Writing Center Coordinator position (which is not a completely crazy dream, as the current holder of the position is tired of it, but there's been no successor forthcoming), which carries only a two-course load (which becomes essentially a one-course load if you're able to take a corequisite course).

As far as being a full-time advisor - I could certainly do it, and for all I know I might well like it a lot. But I've been surprised by how much less excited I've been about it than I would have been even a couple of years ago. Advising, as it turns out, might be more fun when your caseload is smaller, but these days to be a professional advisor is to have a minimum of 250 students (though how many of them show up is another question). Also, not to be that person, but my interaction with NACADA leaves me feeling like advising is just a more openly politically-progressive field right now than I am ever going to have that much patience with. 

And I also would miss the academic side of things. Curriculum Committee wouldn't be the same if I weren't interacting with tutees and their assignments, because that's my best window into how things look on the ground. In academic discussions with faculty, I'd lose the credibility that tutoring students and teaching College Success Seminar has given me. No convention in my own field has ever been as interesting as Four C's was back in grad school (though some of that is probably about the quality of presentations you can get on a national scale versus a regional one). And I do care deeply about composition curriculum, but what, I'm going to keep reading portfolios as an advisor? (Assuming the project even survives into this new academic year, but that's another story.) 

But again, I think of how, even teaching CSS, I often didn't love the actual act of teaching (although sometimes I liked it - it depended on the lesson). I still, even for a one-credit course, dreaded grading. A wonderful department is truly wonderful...but they wouldn't be there with me in class. They wouldn't be grading my papers. 

I wonder how much I'd want to teach if it weren't for the simple fact that I have more natural sympathy with my college's faculty - often the kind of delightfully geeky people I most adore - than with its advisors, who though nice also seem noticeably less geeky, and the women of whom are often (it must be said) very much more stereotypically feminine than I am. And if some of EFC's plethora of southern military moms (not all of whom are stereotypable, I know) have unknowingly taught me one thing, it's that I do not really know how to act around women who aren't of an implicitly or explicitly academic turn of mind. I haven't really had to very much. (Practically all my closest female friends, before, during, and after college, have been. And my mom is more so than she probably thinks she is.) 

Anyway, what I ought to also be doing, besides thinking, is praying. After all, my current position has been such a glovelike fit - and it's so unusual for its type, and only by a slightly odd coincidence did it come open in the way it did in first place and stay open long enough for me to apply - that I can hardly do anything other than chalk it up to the power of the prayers of church ladies, per the Biblical book of James. (Don't scoff, non-Christian readers, assuming I still have any. Any Christian without a healthy respect for the praying church ladies is, as Chesterton would say, a very shallow critic.) 

And I'm mulling over an interesting exchange I stumbled back across in Gaudy Night

[Harriet] "...I disconcert myself very much. I never know what I do feel." 
[Miss de Vine] "I don't think that matters, provided one doesn't try to persuade oneself into appropriate feelings." 
... 
 "But one has to make some sort of choice," said Harriet. "And between one desire and another, how is one to know which things are of overmastering importance?" 
"We can only know that," said Miss de Vine, "when they have overmastered us."